We'll be building up a list of places of interest local to The Stanhope Arms that registered users can rate. This will help visitors to the area find the best places to go and might even provide some inspiration for us locals too. If you want more information on any of these, why not pop in and see us - we might have some further literature, advice or even discount tickets for some of them.
Start/finish: Roadside parking in main street.
Location: Between A6096 Derby to Ilkeston road and the B5010 Borrowash to Sandiacre road.
Terrain: Easy walking over undulating countryside with one short climb in Hermitage Wood. Some short stretches of road do not have any pavement.
1. Go down the main street and walk up the church drive, turning left by the churchyard gates along an enclosed path to a field.
2. Turn left and walk across the field, then without leaving the field, turn right and continue alongside the hedge to a stile in the corner, by a children’s playground.
3. Keep close to the hedge on the left, until just before the field boundary bends to the right, where you go over a wooden fence stile. Now keep close to the hedge on the right for a few yards before following an obvious path across the field.
4. Maintain direction across the next field to cross a stile 25 yards in from the bottom corner.
5. Walk past a pond on the right and angle to the right across the field, cross a narrow field and at a ‘T’ junction of paths turn left, to walk alongside a high wire fence.
6. A few yards after the wire fence bends sharply to the right, a grass cart track is joined, leading to a stile on the right. After walking a short distance to the left to comply with the Ordnance Survey footpath instructions, cross the field heading towards the far corner of a small wood on your right.
7. From the corner of the wood walk towards a group of houses, passing close by Furnace Pond, and turning right along an access road.
8. Continue along the road until, immediately after crossing a stile, with some horse stables in front; turn left along a short fenced path towards another stile.
9. Angle to the right hand corner of the field and go up a short enclosed path. At the end of the path turn left, onto a lane and follow it to a ‘T’ junction.
10. Turn right and walk towards Dale Abbey, take the stile on the left by the school sign and immediately turn to the right to go over a second stile. Head towards the Abbey ruins and follow the path round to the road.
11. Turn left going passed the church and buildings used to stable horses, turning left into Hermitage Wood. Take the second right* turn up a long flight of winding steps that lead to the top of the wood (*Detour - The Hermit’s Cave can be visited a little further along the main path).
12. Leave the wood by a stile, angle to the left across a field to go through a gap in the hedge.
13. Walk down the next field aiming towards a stile by a field gate.
14. Continue walking towards Boyah Grange Farm, but do not cross the stile into the farmyard - instead turn sharp left back across the field, to a stile in the centre of the hedge opposite.
15. Cross the road to a stile opposite and follow the hedge round the field to go over a stile. Turn right across the corner of the next field.
16. Cross the next field to a stile, facing Danesmoor Farm and turn left down the lane next to the farm.
17. After 120 yards, take the stile on the right and after going through a gap on the left, head towards a stile close to a large oak tree.
18. Maintain the same direction to go over another stile by a metal gate and walk down a track on the edge of a wood.
19. Keep straight on after leaving the wood, round a bracken-clad hillside, turning left a short distance before the end of the field down to a stile. Cross the next field diagonally to the road.
20. Turn right along the road and take the second footpath on the left, just before the village 30mph zone. After walking up a cart track turn right towards the church and re-trace your steps back to the start of the walk.